Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Cup of Tea - by Rosanne



I remember when we were kids Mom used to make us a delicious cup of hot tea as a special treat. It was always perfectly sweet and with lots of milk. As I got older, I learned how to make it just right and Tony would often want me to make him a special cup of tea. Remember the big, whiteplastic cups? I didn't mind making tea most of the time, however, there were times that I didn't want to and that's when Tony would become a bit persistent. He would begin to continually keep after me until I gave in. After a while, He started doing this kind of chant "Tea, Rody!", "Tea Rody!" "Tea, Rody!" "Tea, Rody!" until I would eventually give in and make him a cup of tea! (I'm not sure where the nickname "Rody" comes from but I suppose some sort of derivative of "Rosanne"). Anyway, there was this one time I decided I wasn't going to be forced into making him a cup of tea. I decided to refuse him. We were both lying on the living room floor, watching television and Tony wanted a cup of tea (surprise!) I said "No, not right now, I'm watching TV," and then I tried to ignore him, hoping against hope that was the end of it, but somehow knowing it probably wasn't. Then, of course, true to form, here comes the chant "Tea, Rody!" "Tea, Rody!" "Tea, Rody!" It made me so mad, and more determined then ever not to give in and I tried desperately to keep ignoring him. He kept on chanting and I kept on ignoring...and then all of a sudden, it got very quiet. I pretended not to notice but then I felt something dropping all around me, and I looked up and I saw it was money! Tony was tossing pennies at me and then he started whispering the chant "Tea, Rody!" "Tea, Rody!" until I just couldn't take it anymore and I got up laughing and went into the kitchen to make him a cup of tea! Bloody _ E L L !!!! Happy 60th Birthday!

No comments: