Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Letter From Home - by Marie Therese



I am Tim's eldest daughter, living in Lancashire UK. My Father was Tony's mum's brother. All my life he told me about his sisters who married handsome soldiers from America just after the war. I found this letter from Fidel to Betty's sister Mary on one of Betty's visits home. With apologies to Fidel for making public his thougths after so many years, I think it shows the loving home Tony and his siblings enjoyed as a child:

August 16th 1961
Long Beach California,


My Dear Mary, Big Sister,


Thanks for your letter I rec. today and to hear that you are doing fine. We are all well here at home. We all do miss Betty very much but in a case like this we can stand it a long time. Mary I would of gave anything to have been at the station the day of the arrival. I can picture it all. I bet it was a thrill when you saw each other. When I read your letter I dripped a few tears too. Hope we both have made Dad happy God Bless Him. You see Mary it’s the other way around. Betty takes good care or me without her I don’t know what would become of us. God has been good to me. I have a castle when I get home from work. I always find the house warm, cozy, food on the table, clean clothes done and affection. No money can buy that, and of course 4 lovely children.

Yes Mary this world is certainly growing smaller. We get closer every day. There supposed to be building a ship that will travel from USA to England in the near future very reasonably. Hope it’s very soon. And even if its not we will make it I am sure. We won't go so fast as Betty did but we will get there. And tell Betty next time I send her on her own she will probably go in a rocket and make it in a few minutes. She did pretty good this time 10 ½ hours from California to England. I can’t wait till she returns. She will have so much to tell me.

Well Mary I will close for now and hoping to be hearing from you again. Bye for now, our love and prayers from all of us.

Fidel.
Ps Give Betty a hug from me Fidel.

No comments: